Dear GHE Community,
On the morning of Wednesday December 9th, 2015, several members of our Squamish community visited GHE as part of the HASTE BC “Safe Routes to Schools” Walkabout. This activity was intended for various stakeholders including Mayor Patricia Heintzman, City Coucillors, RCMP officers, City Engineers, By-Law officers, parents, students, and Vice Principal Mr. Gordon, to the community in hopes of surveying the roads around the school and in finding ways to improve the routes in which children and families get to school. We are confident is saying that this was an invaluable exercise and one that we are pleased to be apart of. The discussion afterwards lasted about 90 minutes and many excellent ideas were brought forward.
“Haste BC” has now taken all of this documentation and will put together a proposal for the city and school district on our behalf. Once this information is in our hands, we will be sure to share it with the entire school community. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact Mr. Gordon (email@example.com) if you have any questions or concerns.
We will be in touch!
One of the busiest weeks of the Year!
On Monday, We had a visit from our grade eight friends from Don Ross who came to share their writing with our K/1 early immersion classes. The grade eight students have been working on story books in French and they came today to read with our students. What a great afternoon of mentorship and sharing the love of reading!
A reminder that this week our Christmas Concerts take place on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings at 7:00
- Tuesday evening: (Dress rehearsal at 1:30 pm)
- Ms. Antonios
- Mrs. Newell
- Mme. Eby
- Mme. Regnier
- Mr. Lum
- Ms. Mah
- Mme. Jacobs
- Mrs. Harwood
- Wednesday evening: (Dress Rehearsal at 1:30)
- Mr. Gordon/Mrs. Manzini
- Mrs. Lowe/Mrs. Emerick
- Mrs. Bowden/Mrs. Manzini
- Mme. Moore
- Mrs. Parsloe
- Mrs. Kindree/Heikoop
- Mme. Maskell
- Ms Hartviksen
- Mrs. Pettingill
- INVITATION: The Sky’s No Limit – Girls Fly Too! 2016
Inspiring future leaders: Thousands of females and their families expected at FREE Aviation, Aerospace, Marine and Defense event. March 12-13 2016 at Abbotsford International Airport.
What a busy week at GHE
- We just heard that our Christmas Craft Fair raised over $7000.00! What a great community event and thanks to everyone who participated, shopped and volunteered. Thank you to our PAC organizers for all their work.
- Today, students from Mrs. Antonios’s class presented food, toys and a checque for $700 to Squamish Community Christmas Care. The money was raised at our last movie night, which had a record attendance!
- On Wednesday evening at the School Board Meeting 3 students from Mrs. Antonios’s class presented their project, creating signs for our crosswalk. Ava, Aidan and Alexa represented our school well and we are very proud of their awesome presentation skills!
- On Friday several class worked to create some beautiful Christmas Wreaths.
- On Thursday, Dec 10, we were delighted to have Michael Bortolotto speak to our students. Michael is a person with Cerebral Palsy and he shared some very powerful and moving stories about growing up, acceptance and bullying. Our students were riveted by his story telling and we encourage you to ask your child about Michael’s presentation. K-3 students heard Michael’s story about the apple and the pineapple. Our older students learned about how friendship transformed Michael and helped him to overcome physical obstacles.
Be sure to check out our newest website feature called “Life at GHE” available in the main menu of our website. In this area, our goal is to highlight the many examples of student learning in our school. Check out some of the many projects currently underway.
- Parent Teacher Interviews
Report cards are being sent home today, Nov 30, 2015. There are two early dismissal days this week to provide time for parent teacher interviews. These take place on Wednesday and Thursday, December 3 and 4. School is dismissed at 2:00 pm on both days.
- GHE Christmas Craft Fair
The big news this week, in addition to communicating student learning, is our annual PAC Christmas Craft Fair.
Please join us for two upcoming events hosted by our GHE PAC!
- Movie Night – Friday November 27 @ 6:30pm
- This Friday is the PAC Movie Night. They will be showing “Minions” and for just $5.00 you get to watch the movie, popcorn, and a juice box. Doors open at 6:30pm and the movie starts at 7pm. Don’t forget to bring your pillow!!!
2. Christmas Craft Fair – Thursday December 3rd @ 6:30pm.